Relationships and social connection impact health, quality of life, and wellness. Social well-being is not completely separate from other realms of wellness – a sense of connectedness impacts spirituality, mental/emotional health, sexuality, and the physical body, and vice versa. Human beings are a social species, and loneliness may be a contributor to non-communicable diseases and mental health issues (ex. see Together by Vivek H. Murthy and Dangers of loneliness: Social isolation is deadlier than obesity. (slate.com) and Loneliness Is a Public Health Problem: This Low-Tech Intervention Can Help – Scientific American) A person’s level of function and disability is dependent on their relationships and the society in which they live (often society is broken, not the individual). A more holistic, biopsychosocial approach to the assessment of well-being that includes social connection and relationship is an upstream (i.e. up-scaling) approach to health promotion and wellness.
I am not a mental health practitioner or a marriage and family relationship specialist. However, I do have group offerings that are meant to create a sense of community and belonging as I ascribe to the understanding of how vital a sense of connectedness is. Life is best lived from a space of both/and – both autonomous/uniquely you but in a community supported by love and kindness.
Information on complementary and integrative health and wellness modalities, specific to social connection is listed below. Please see the other main pages for information on additional modalities
– Death Café, Naperville: http://ignitewell-being.com/death-cafe-naperville/
– Fireside (Creativity Gathering): http://ignitewell-being.com/fireside-creativity-gatherings/
– Family and Children’s Circles, Naperville (Feathering the Nest): http://ignitewell-being.com/information-on-feathering-the-nest/
– Pleasure Café: http://ignitewell-being.com/pleasure-cafe/
– Naperville Family Nature Meetup: http://ignitewell-being.com/information-on-naperville-family-nature-meetup/
– Savor Book Club: http://ignitewell-being.com/book-reviews/
– S e x -Positive Parenting Group: http://ignitewell-being.com/sex-positive-parenting/
– Wild Woman Project Circles, Naperville: http://ignitewell-being.com/wild-woman-project-circles-naperville/
– Yoga and Mindfulness for Sensuality:
*Please note that none of the above information is specific medical advice, but are educational resources. If you have concerns about your health, please contact a trusted healthcare professional*
The above content is written by Dr. Allison Mitch, PT (DPT); copyright protected, please cite accordingly. The picture is from Pexels. To work with me or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org